- NE monsoon (Dec-mid April): Generally fine weather with surface winds of NE’ly with speed of 9kn. Seas are generally slight.
- Pre monsoon (Apr): Inter tropical convergence zone (ITCZ) over the Maldives causes showers in the country and surface winds from WNW at 7kn. Seas remain slight.
- SW monsoon (May-Nov): Rain occurs over the country during active monsoon period. Surface winds vary between SW and NW with an average speed of 11-15kn. In May-Oct gusts of 35-45kn may occur. Seas are generally moderate but can be rough at times.
Local weather report can be obtained by the Tel: (+960) 3317171.
Tidal range in Male’ and nearby islands
– Mean spring range about 0.7 m
– Mean neap range about 0.3 m
In Gaadhoo Koa the streams from Vaadhoo Kandu sets across the passage. During the NE monsoon a component of the current sets NW through this passage setting a vessel towards the reef fringing the E side of Male, the flow turns W between Male and Funadhoo. Strong currents have been reported during the NE monsoon within this passage.
During the SW monsoon a component of the current enters N Male lagoon through Giraavaru Irumathee Kandu 6 miles W of Male, flowing out principally through the channel E of Viligili and between Male and Funadhoo into Waadhoo Kandu
Current in Gaadhoo Koa streams from Vaadhoo kandu sets across this opening and during the NE monsoon a component of the current sets NW through the entrance channel which directs the vessel towards the reef, fringing the east side of Male’ island. Within the entrance the flow turns west between Male’ and Funadhoo island. Strong currents have been reported during the NE Monsoon within Male’ Harbour area.